Sunday, April 7, 2013

Lemon Water Madness


Is it just me, or has lemon water become a lot more popular lately? Of course, I'm basing that idea on what I see on Pinterest, so it could just be me.

Either way, drinking lemon water first thing in the morning is one of my favorite healthy habits. It's best drunk first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. My mom told me about lemon water a few years ago; apparently she read about it in a Suzanne Somers book. I don't know about you, but I'm keen to trust Suzanne Somers. If I do, maybe I'll look half as good at her age.


OK, I probably won't. But I'm still going to drink lemon water in the morning, because it's been found to help and even cure just about anything. After a quick jaunt on the Internet, I've found out the specifics:

  •  Vitamin C: This is the obvious answer, right? Everybody knows that citrus fruits are packed with Vitamic C, but did you know that Vitamin C significantly increases the absorption of iron and calcium? It also boosts your immune system and fights colds.
  • Liver/Kidney Health: Lemons are the fruit of choice for so many cleanses, and that's because studies have shown that lemon juice can prevent or clear small calcium deposits. That mean no kidney stones!
  • Aid to Digestion:  Lemons are also popular in cleanses because their full of vitamins and minerals that help loosen toxins from the digestive tract. If you drink your lemon juice warm, the warm water also helps get those bowels movin'. 
  • Improves your Skin: I had no idea before I wrote this post, but the vitamin C in lemon juice actually decreases/prevents wrinkles! No wonder Suzanne Somers looks so great! Since it clears toxins, it also helps clear up acne. 
  • Balances your Ph: We all think of lemons as an acidic food, but it actually has an alkalizing effect in the body once it's metabolized. Almost all whole foods are alkaline foods, while junk food, processed food, and animal products fall on the acidic end of the scale. Check out this acidic/alkaline chart and see what I mean:

So, hot or cold? After reading quite a few articles, it seems like warm lemon water is the best way to go. That said, when I stumble out of bed in the morning and go to squeeze my lemon water, I grab the Brita pitcher from the fridge and do what's easiest.

Lemons - to refrigerate or not to refrigerate? After doing the Master Cleanse, I learned this lesson well: the lemon you squeeze should be at room temperature. When refrigerated, the lemon's enzymes become dormant and therefore don't do your body as much good. They "wake up" again when they warm up.

But what about those gigantic bags of lemons, you ask? You can refrigerate them, but always leave a couple lemons out on the counter for the next day.

Give lemon water a try and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading!

-Kelly

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels